My most talked about crop of the year, Ground Cherries. Are they chinese lanterns, are they gooseberries, there was no end of specualtion and questions. But they are unquestionably yummy and different. Here is a recipe from the Seed and Plant company Veseyès. they grew abundantly and certainly reduced weeding on a big part of the upper garden. Next year I will give them more room, so I donèt feel like I am in a forest when I picking them up off the ground.
Ground Cherry Pie
Get more great recipes in our Summer Savoury Cookbook!
- Pastry for a 2-crust 9-inch pie
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 1/2 cups husked ground cherries
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter