Sunday, July 20, 2014

rewarding in spite of....

It is certainly a challenging gardening farming season. Between the rain...wind...deer...raccoons.. one needs a deep and abiding faith to continue.  It is really frustrating to go out and see that every single tomato and potato plant has been nibbled, and the apple tree that survived the worst winter in over 100 years has been chewed down to a thread.  And there is absolutely nothing we can do about the deer, other than spend thousands of dollars on fencing or buy a very expensive disgusting smelling spray and touch every single plant in the place with it.

One of the things that gives back at least for my CSA is the bright smile on childrens faces when they pull their own carrots and radishes or find a strawberry among my weeds.

Once in  a while someone takes the time to send a note... this goes a long way with me and here is one I got last week.
Thank you for gardening.
I have been enjoying a most wonderful salad, in a different combination every night.
Janet.

Add caption
so while the sweat is running down my face and I am weeding and replanting kale and tomatoes, I think of the happy faces and that I am doing hot yoga without paying for the class. Lots of downward dog and resistance work in gardening....
the first zucchinis and cucumbers July 16th
beans with all the tops eaten off by our deer visitor
 broccoli eaten clear off

2 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

That is so disheartening for you. I am surprised that even in the city you have to contend with deer. Here at the beach I and many others have given up the joys of gardening....except for a few things on the deck. I used to like seeing them, when there weren't many, and had a friend from Pinawa who spat out the word ,"VERMIN" when it came to the many deer in Pinawa who ate all her garden. I though she was a nut...but now....they are VERMIN and they sure have taken the joy out of many gardeners here. Unless you build an electric fence or tall wire fences around everything...you give up!what a shame for you, when you have a clientelle who look forward to good food.

Becky said...

My mom and dad make their own deer spray and it works very well. They have deer in their yard/garden every day and anything they've missed spraying gets eaten.

FROM: Backyard Magazine

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon of cooking oil
1 Tablespoon of dish soap
Add 1 gallon of water and shake well. Spray or sprinkle on plants every two weeks or after heavy rain.

I hope this helps!

Becky

Follow Me on Pinterest

Popular Posts

handmade

Make It And Love It